This building was once a veterinary school for King Frederick William II. It was designed by Carl Gotthard Langhans, the architect who also designed the Brandenburg Gate, which was built at around the same time (1789/90). Today it is the oldest remaining academic building remaining in Berlin, and a beautiful example of classicist architecture. The spirit of science still floats above the rows of wooden seats in the lecture hall with its striking dome—the auditorium was designed to resemble an amphitheater. Today, the building hosts changing exhibitions and events organized by Humboldt University of Berlin.