Popping over to Trafalgar Square to see those famous lions? Take a detour to the north-east corner for a look at this beautiful old Anglican church. A house of god was on this site from 1222 and rebuilt in 1542. Back then it was, quite literally, in the fields between the cities of Westminster and London. The current church dates back to 1726 and is now right in the middle of the action, and as well as regular services it is famed for lunchtime and evening concerts and regular jazz nights at the ‘Café in the Crypt’.