Located about 40 minutes outside the city and well worth a relaxing side trip, this important baroque complex consists of three palaces and extensive gardens. The palace dates back to Duke William V, who had a simple estate built there in about 1600. Starting in 1617, the estate was expanded to become the Old Schleißheim Palace. Construction of Lustheim Palace, a small hunting and garden villa, began in 1685. Today a canal connects it to New Schleißheim Palace, built in the years following 1700.