Originally intended for the acclimatization of Indian spices, King John VI of Portugal established his botanical gardens in 1808. Come 1822, the gardens were already teeming with Cariocas. The long allées of trees provide refuge with their shady groves. The main attractions are the Victoria Lilies, the orchid greenhouse, the Royal Gunpowder Factory, and the Espaço Tom Jobim in the old research buildings. Long walks can be rewarded with freshly baked goods at the Café La Bicyclette.