PFAUENINSEL
PHOTOS MAPS STREET VIEW

First, Fredrick William of Brandenburg established a lucrative rabbit breeding station. Then, in 1685, the island was given to alchemist and glass maker Johannes Kunckel and it became enshrouded in smoke and rumors. Almost a century passed before it was named Pfaueninsel, or Peacock Island, when the Williams and Fredericks of German history had it developed to become the pearl of the Havel River—including exotic plants and a small romantic castle. In the summer, four water buffalo graze on the lawns.

DISTRICT
Steglitz-Zehlendorf
ADDRESS
WEBSITE
OPENING TIMES
Nov–Feb: Daily 10 am to 4 pm
Mar–Apr, Sep–Oct: Daily 9 am to 6 pm
May–Aug: Daily 9 am to 8 pm
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
Bus 218 Pfaueninsel
HIGHLIGHT TYPE
Activity / tour

PLACES AROUND

SEARCH BY CATEGORY
cool cities app collection