A resident in the rolling hills along Zurich’s western bank, Richard Wagner cherished the area like so many others. The foundation of this museum was laid in 1857, when a wealthy silk merchant invited him to stay in one of the three houses on his property. Shortly thereafter, intellectuals from throughout Europe gathered here to discuss Buddhism. The architecturally impressive annex to the museum – finished in 2007 – is well worth seeing. Beneath three subterranean levels, a vast collection of ethnic and religious art, as well as one of Zurich’s nicest cafés, is located here.